Barrister & Solicitor
in the legal, professional regulation, and consulting industries
I am a lawyer admitted to the Ontario Bar in 2013, with over 13 years of experience in the legal, professional regulation, and consulting industries. A sole practitioner and a certified risk manager focused on delivering excellent general legal counsel in identifying and preventing multi-area legal risks to minimize risk exposure and optimize performance. I have experience in multiple areas, including privacy law, cybersecurity, contract drafting, statutory interpretation, civil litigation, and class actions. I successfully draft, negotiate, and close global business agreements in both the public and private sectors. In addition to drafting legal pleadings, legal memoranda, and opinions, I settle cases and appear in court. My clients include public and private organizations.
I held positions in the public and private sectors. At the Law Society of Ontario, I was a Legal Officer expertly interviewing thousands of people, including victims, children, and young offenders, to refer them to a lawyer in both official languages. I drafted legal memos pertaining to privacy law and solicitor-client privilege. I strategically analyzed the Law Society Referral Service’s acquired goodwill to maintain the loyalty of members on the service. I also participated in the class action defense of the Ontario Ministry of Education in a lawsuit involving issues stretching back over the past 60 years.
I have outstanding drafting skills and, as an author, I currently publish precedents for LexisNexis Canada Inc. At the Advantage Group International, Inc., I acquired hands-on experience in establishing a legal function. I oversaw, managed, and identified the legal issues in all departments. I drafted and managed the execution of contracts, pleadings, policies, and corporate records. I led successful legal contract negotiations with global manufacturing companies’ C-suite teams. I advised in corporate governance, intellectual property, data protection (PIPEDA), technology (SaaS), marketing and advertising (CASL), competition law (Competition Act), and human rights. I appeared at a pre-trial settlement conference and successfully settled the matter. And I monitored competition law compliance at the annual board meetings.
At Pro Bono Ontario and as an Articling Student, I appeared in front of masters of the Superior Court of Justice for non-contested matters, in front of Superior Court judges at contempt hearings and others, and at pre-trial settlement conferences in the Small Claims Court
• Administrative Law
• Anti-Spam Legislation and Policies
• Civil Litigation
• Contracts – licensing agreements, end-user license agreements, NDAs, etc.
• Competition Law
• Criminal Law and the Charter
• Human Rights and Occupational Health and Safety in the workplace
• Intellectual Property Protection
• Privacy Law and Policies
• Professional Regulation
• Statutory Interpretation
• Technology Law
• Workplace Investigations
• Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/Canada), the International Association of Privacy Professionals, 2021*
• Foundations in Judicial Competencies, the Ontario Bar Association, 2020
• Civil Litigation, the Advocate’s Society, 2019
• Risk Management, University of Toronto, 2018
• Managing Change Workshop, Prosci, 2018
• How to Assess Evidence Workshop, University of Toronto, 2017
• Suicide Alertness Training, Safetalk, 2016
*Certificate is in progress
Author for Practical Guidance, LexisNexis Canada Inc.
• “Annotated Precedent for a Software Acquisition and Grant-Back Licence Agreement”
• “Annotated Precedent for a Cyber Incident Response Plan”
Having been on the Executive of the Canadian Corporate Counsel Association, I chaired events such as the CCCA Ontario Chapter Award of Excellence 2018, the Art and Science of Minute Taking, 2017, the Institute Program, 2015 Legal Trends and Developments: What Corporate Counsel Should Know to Be on the Cutting Edge.
I volunteered for two committees at the Law Society of Ontario, the Charities Committee to support the Lawyers Feed the Hungry Program, and the Diversity and Inclusion Committee to educate employees on topics such as LGBTQ+, Respectful and Inclusive Workplaces, Disability Inclusion Strategies and Diversity and Inclusion in the Legal Profession. I also promoted the French language and culture by participating in French plays such as the Would-be Gentlemen (a play by Molière) at Michael Ignatieff Theatre, University of Toronto. I ran marathons to support our youth at organizations such as Justice for Children and Youth and Big Brother, Big Sister.
• Master 1, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, Droit privé, Private Law, 2019*
• Juris Doctor, University of Ottawa, 2010
• International Private Law Class, The Hague Academy of International Laws, 2008
• Bachelor of Arts, McGill University, 2007
*Degree is on hold
Your privacy is of the utmost importance. Your information is always kept confidential & secure.